Visa Application

7. Visa Application

How long is the visa valid for?
Secondary School Exchange Student visas (for students holding an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Schooling) are always valid for the length of the exchange. Other student visas are usually valid for the duration of the course plus one or two months depending on the total length of the course.

If students wish to stay longer, they will have to apply for an additional visitor visa shortly before the student visa expires.

Can I work in Australia?

If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you will already have Permission to Work automatically included with your visa.

If you were granted a Student visa before 26 April 2008 and have not yet applied for Permission to Work, you and your dependent family members may only apply for Permission to Work after you have started your course in Australia.

Can I extend my stay in Australia? If so, how?
You can only extend your stay in Australia if you do not have a ‘No Further Stay’ condition on your current student visa. The following table outlines your visa options to extend your stay in Australia.

Reasons for Extending

Visa Options

Continue your studies

Apply for a new student visa

To have your PhD thesis assessed

Apply for a new student visa

Attend your graduation ceremony

Apply for a visitor visa

Have a holiday

Apply for a visitor visa

For work

Apply for a work visa

Permanent residence in Australia

Apply to become a permanent resident under the General Skilled Migration program

Can I leave Australia and re-enter?
Your student visa has been granted allowing for multiple entry. This means that you can depart Australia and re-enter using this visa whilst your visa remains valid. If you leave Australia without a valid visa you will need to re-apply overseas, pay the application charge and meet the visa requirements that are current at that time.

Can I remain permanently in Australia?
Certain overseas students in Australia who recently completed a diploma or degree after at least one year of full time study in Australia may be able to apply for:

  • Graduate – Skilled (Temporary) (Class UQ), subclass 497, or
  • Skilled Independent Overseas Student (Migrant) (Class DD), subclass 880, or
  • Skilled Australian Sponsored Overseas Student (Migrant) (Class DE), subclasses 881 or 882.