Thailand Trademark Registration Requirements for filing a trademark application in Thailand are similar to filing requirements in other countries. There are some specific conditions regarding products and services classification, and the requirement document required by Department of Intellectual Property (DIP).
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BY DEPARTMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (DIP)
Documents and information required for filing a trademark application in Thailand are as follows:
• Full name, address, country and activity/occupation of the applicant
• Electronic sample of the mark (5×5 cm recommended size)
• List of goods and services to be protected
• Notarized Power of Attorney (for foreign applicants)
• Thai Power of Attorney and copy of corporate certificate with Director’s Passport or ID card (for Thai applicants only)
• Translation of priority documents (if priority is claimed)
TRADEMARK CLASSIFICATION OF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Thailand follows the general framework of the International Trademark Classification (Nice Classification) regarding the list of goods and services. However, there are some important specific conditions in Thailand.
• Broad products or services descriptions are not allowed in Thailand. For example “clothing” or “cosmetics” are not accepted descriptions and shall be detailed such as “trousers”, “shirts”, “t-shirts” as per the Thailand trademark classification of Products and Services. Objections from the Registrar regarding product and service descriptions are common in Thailand. It is best to avoid such objections by examining and addressing possible bases of objections prior to filing. Objections may complicate the prosecution of a trademark application.
• Specific local products (such as exotic food products) have been added to the Thailand trademark classification.